Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Stu's Thoughts

Last night was the farewell of our divisional Leaders, Lieut-Colonel Jocelyn Knapp and Major Cilla Bone. The usual stuff happened as does at these type of events, speeches, public embarassment, pranks, a combined band and the Commissioners. What I found encouraging was a number of young people who came to bid farewell to our leaders.

The youth speech provided by Bendigo local Matthew Tatti (who by some miracle is just young enough to still be considered a youth). During the speech he mentioned how our Divisional leaders were "two old ladies, who like gardening and playing solitare and happen to do some church stuff." Admist the roars of laughter from the congregation there were also two massive beaming smiles from Jocelyn and Cilla. This is important to our youth and sums up how the young people of Northern Victoria view our divisional leaders for the last four years. They are approachable, engaging and our youth know that they care.

A couple of months ago I held my 27th birthday party. Among the many young people, family and friends that were in attendance were Jocelyn and Cilla. One of my favourite memories of that night is of Cilla sitting cross-legged on the floor, telling wild stories and listening to the ravings of a hyper-active 20 year old. I must say admire that, it reminds me of the hope I have for the church: a space where age isn't a barrier and we take the time to listen to each other. I long for the church in which our focus isn't on demographics and how we reach specific age groups, but is instead on the reality that every young person needs an adult who is irrationally commited to them. This is how we will see young people grow up with faith and in their faith.

So as the last song was sung, the benediction was prayed, the congregation flooded from the auditorium and gravitated towards the the supper table, I stood back. I smiled, and I watched. I saw tear filled hugs from young women who have received the gift of being listen to by "two old ladies... who do some church stuff." It just reminds me youth workers and DYs are the only ones, who change the lives of young people.

Stuart McGifford

No comments: