Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Rowan's first blog

What have I learned? I know that young people are capable of great acts of heroism, self sacrifice and bravery. I know that young people talk big and it blows me away when they match their talk with walk. I recently heard Tony Campolo speak and one of the many gems I will probably lean on to get through the weekly demand of contributing to this blog (more likely fortnightly with my memory... monthly even... Bi annual maybe?) was this:

"Adolescence is good for one of two things; heroism or entertainment. Which are you going to invest in?"

What have I seen? I've seen young people give up their $9000 car savings to feed the poor, I've seen young people give away their shoes to the shoeless, I've seen young people choose mission over money and calling over career and I've seen young people trek all over the world just to keep up with what God is doing... I've seen young people pray in healing, kick out demons and bring people to Jesus - some of these just in one day at plenty valley corps too!!! (Props to the James Thompson)

I've also seen 100 young people raise $30,000 dollars over the last 2 years to build a 24 bed dormatory for children, boys and girls, rescued from Cambodia's sex trade. This Friday night we have Operation 58, a self denial program that runs all year round in Adelaide, where I'll witness young people do more amazing things as we raise more money to go the building of this orphanage - it works like this; We give up the cash, they build the rooms and then they rescue the kids. Every dollar raised gets us closer to another child rescued.

I've seen young people do some pretty cool things... Entertainment or heroism - you choose...


4 comments:

Captain Collo said...

Campolo rocks but maybe you are even better! Love the point and your stories are real and inspiring. It reminds me the youth are the lifeblood of this movement so lets all believe in them to step up.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I'm not commenting on your post Rowan (although it was thoroughly entertaining...I mean heroic). What I would like to comment on is the suprise of seeing a link to my blog on the left. I don't know who set this page up, but do they realise that I haven't blogged in a very long time.
To the adminstrator...feel free to remove the link.

Anonymous said...

shut up and Blog Brad - we need your link!