Monday, November 12, 2007

Simon's Thoughts...

Over the last two weeks I've taken advantage of two public holidays. The Royal Hobart Show and the Northern recreation day (For some strange reason Tassie likes to split it's public holidays up from North & South. This is not confusing at all!) On both of these occasions I have gone kayaking with 5 of our youth. Just hooning around the Drewent River down south and the Esk River up north. On both of these occasions God blessed us with great sunny skies and a light cool breeze.


Something I've learned.

I learned to love again the sponenaiety of youth when you see a hill, or a swinging rope or a herd of cows that need to be chased. I learned why so many youth laugh, it was at the random things, the way Jackson kept slipping in mud, or the way Bryce kept falling out of the Kayak, or Matty sitting in the back of the two man kayak while Shan paddled her heart out (somehow she never noticed he wasn't paddeling). I learned how awsome it was to just float back down a river talking and laughing not having a care in the world. at one point up north we had all 4 kayak's straped together floating as one group, just having fun. I learned you sometimes just need to go climb a random hill and sit there for no other reason.


Something I've Seen.
I saw on that day youth put all their stuff aside and just be in community, eating, drinking and working together in a team. No one was in charge, if one of them wanted to climb a hill we all climbed the hill. If someone wanted to scare the cows we all scared the cows. I loved what one youth said quietly to me on the side, "I feel really bonded to everyone now". I saw how 5 hours on a river could take someone away from their life and free them for a time. Or develop deeper friendships. I also saw how burned you can get if you don't reapply the suncreen lotion. Grr.


Simon

1 comment:

Captain Collo said...

Simon,

Thanks for all your doing down in Tassie! I too love cows - especially pushing them over while they are sleeping:)